Tuesday, April 7, 2009

choose life

It’s spring break this week for Austin and Isabelle.

We can’t really go anywhere because Jamin (my hubby) has to work all week.
In lieu of a “real vacation”, we decided to hit up the huge, local, indoor water park…spend one night…and play as hard as possible for two days straight.
If we headed down right after church on Sunday, we would have Sunday and most of Monday before Jamin had to go to work…perfect!

The first day, I was completely content doing my “usual” - sitting back, relaxing, taking it all in AND documenting every second on camera…so everyone could remember all the fun they had.

As I was taking it all in, the words from a verse in Deuteronomy kept going through my head … "choose life”.

The next morning, we woke up and the kids were going on and on about a ride called “The Howlin’ Tornado”. How it was SO much fun. They were begging me to do it with them!

I had EVERY excuse in the book.

First of all, I’ve heard from plenty of people that it’s really, really scary…
I don’t do “scary”!

“choose life”

Second, the narrow flight of stairs (3-4 stories high) that you have to stand on while you wait in line (for who knows how long?) looks terrifying to me…
I do NOT do “heights”!

“choose life”

Third, everyone says the “best” part is when you drop suddenly and have to hang on super tight to your inner tube or you could fly out (great!).
They say it’s just like a roller-coaster. Guess what…
I don’t do roller coasters either!

“choose life”




Well, I gave in.

I was shaking so hard standing on those stairs, I thought my legs were going to give out.
I was gripping onto that stair railing so tight, my knuckles were white.
When it was time to get in our inner tube, instead of just holding on to the handles, I shoved my entire hand through and made a fist so they couldn’t slip out. (Oh ya, you should of seen my wrists when we got through…ouch!)

But I did it.

Yep, it was scary. But it was worth it.

My kids and my hubby laughed so hard. I think the visual of me on that ride will make them laugh for a very long time.

I stayed in the water the rest of the day. I played with my kids instead of just watching.
I don’t have any pictures from the second day, but that’s okay.

I chose life.

And I’m glad I did!

Deuteronomy 30:19-20a
This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him
.”

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I came across your blog when I visited My Life in a Boys World, and I love your photos and words from scripture. This was a great post. I find that I like to watch through the camera too much, too! But lately, I'm trying to actually put the camera down and just enjoy being involved! THanks so much for sharing! WOW! That does look scary! You're a brave mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie,
    Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself...it's nice to meet you! :)
    And I'm really not that brave...believe me!!

    ReplyDelete