Thursday, March 26, 2009

t r u s t

I’ve been struggling with trusting the Lord lately.

Not so much in the BIG stuff. The stuff that’s “bigger than me”. The stuff that I have no choice but to trust Him on.

I don’t seem to struggle with trusting and believing that the Lord has my best in mind (even when it doesn’t feel like it) when it comes to the big stuff in my life.
I completely trust in His Sovereignty and I know that He will definitely make my path straight if I just trust in Him and give control completely over to Him.

Jeremiah 29:11
“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”


No problem, I totally get it.

I’m guess I’m struggling with trusting Him with the little stuff. The stuff I would rather just handle myself…rather than giving the situation to Him.

It’s so tempting to believe that He only cares about the big stuff…but the little stuff is up to me.

If I’m not careful, my thoughts go here… “I know God has my ultimate good in mind, BUT does He know what I really like? I mean, if I leave it up to Him, He may not take care of the details that *I* am concerned about. Maybe I just need to help Him out a little. After all, I can’t really expect Him to take care of all the details, can I?”

We are planning on getting a new puppy in the next couple months.
We are so excited!
We know exactly what we want – a light-yellow…boxy-headed (but not too boxy)…big (but not long & lanky)…sweet-tempered…cuddly…Labrador Retriever…that likes pheasants…must like pheasants!
Not too picky, right? ;)

I’ve been struggling with the desire to control every aspect of the search.
To talk to breeder after breeder, nailing down the perfect combination of male & female to give us the best chances of ending up with the our perfect puppy.
And believe me, the breeders are more than willing to “go there” with me…
they get it! ;)

There have been so many mornings that instead of spending my quiet-time with the Lord, I am tempted to get online and research, contact breeders, make sure we are on the right waiting-lists, etc. (I’m not gonna lie…I have succumbed to the temptation more than once!).

But almost every time, I hear a still, small voice whispering to me, “Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you…”.

Sometimes it feels like I need to physically pry my fingers off the keyboard cause I’m making progress… “Come on God, I’m making good progress, are You seriously gonna make me stop?!?”
Anyway, it’s such a struggle for me. But I know that the Lord is trying to grow me in this area.

I need to trust Him with the little things, as much as I do with the big things.

Cause I’m pretty sure, “all these things” includes cute little puppies!! :)

Matthew 6:33
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”


*********************************************************************************

{ I feel like I should add, my struggle with trusting the Lord with “the little things” is so unfounded…it is ridiculous!
All I have to do is look around me, at all the ways He has blessed me in big AND little ways, and I am SO convicted!
He truly does care about the little things, and He DELIGHTS in blessing me in the details.
He does know what I like…and He does know the desires of my heart…after all, He put them there!!
I am so thankful that He loves me where I’m at…and that He forgives me for being a brat when I tell Him I’m sorry.
He is so good!
}

5 comments:

  1. You made me smile. I love labrador retrievers, they are my favorite breed. I have one, his name is Booker. He's getting old, once I could have swore he said hungry, that's because he always wants to eat. Poor thing he got really fat. I put him on a diet one time but he walked town and ate burritos with the men at their shops and then went next door and had lunch with that crowd, they had to call us and tell us to come get him. I had to kick him out of the barn last summer because all he wanted to do was lay in the dog house and sleep. I thought he was dead a couple of times. He made it through the summer and slimmed down with all the panting he did and he made it through the winter too. Lucky for him it's not very cold here and he has two other dogs to cuddle with. That was a lot for today. I'm just sayin.

    I think God loves you even in the detail control issues you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerriann - Thanks for sharing your doggie story...he sounds like a sweetie!!
    And ya, "detail control issues" is a good way of putting it. :)
    I just have to remember that God delights in the details even more than me...and He has WAY better taste!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate. Especially to the part about "seeking Him first". It's way too easy for me to take matters into my own hands- especially the litle things. I too, am trying to listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit and let God lead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, its me again. You touch my heart, make it kind of tender with your writings, that is a big thank you to you and to God. He is woeing us into an ever deeper relationship with Him and what a blessing that is.

    Also I want to say, it takes someone with "detail control issues" to notice that in someone else. You are a sweetie and it is easy to see how tender your heart is to God. Yea, He is a God of details, isn't He, and that's a good thing.

    I am heading to daughter's, she is going to give birth on Tuesday. We finally get to meet baby Grace. Should be a great opportunity for picture taking.

    Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I have a huge problem asking God for anything, let alone the small stuff. Some of the scripture you used in this post really helped me put that in perspective.

    ReplyDelete