Tuesday, March 3, 2009

d a n c e



If you followed my photography career, you will recognize this picture.

It kind of took on a life of it’s own in the “photography world”.

Sure, partly because it’s artistic & pretty. But I think what really got to people about this image is what it speaks to all of us about “choosing to dance”…in the face of adversity.

I met 3-year old little Ali for the first time on a dreary, January day, three years ago.
She had recently been diagnosed with a very severe form of childhood cancer…with a VERY scary prognosis.
Her parents had asked me to come up to the Ronald McDonald house in Seattle to photograph her before she went back in for her next round of chemo.
When I got there, she was sick…so, so sick!
All she could do was sit on her bed and cuddle her stuffed animals.
I photographed her a little bit, but it just didn’t seem to be a good day for pictures.
We didn’t want to push it…I could always come back when she was feeling better.
As I was preparing to leave, she looked across the room and spotted her tutu hanging in the closet. She pointed to it and asked her mommy if she could put it on. Of course, her sweet mommy got the tutu down and helped Ali get it on.

I’ll never forget what happened next…

When she put that tutu on, it was like she was a different little girl.
Suddenly, she forgot how sick she felt…she just wanted to dance.
We went down the hall where she would have more room, and she began to dance.
It was as if, in that moment, nobody else in the room existed.
She seemed to forget her pain…she spun around like the most beautiful ballerina I had EVER seen.
It took my breath away!

I think we could all learn a valuable lesson from this little girl.

DANCE…no matter what you’re facing!

It might be hard, but don’t wait to start living until all your problems are gone…it’s probably not gonna happen this side of heaven.

So get up.

Put on that tutu.

And DANCE.

I’ll join you!!

Psalm 30:11
“You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy”

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an incredible photograph and message. Sure puts life in perspective.

    Trying to live life with a tutu on...

    ReplyDelete