Thursday, February 5, 2009

t r u t h

I’ve shared before that I asked Jesus into my heart as a little girl.

I grew up in a wonderful, loving Christian home. I grew up going to Sunday school every week. I knew my Bible stories inside & out. I went to a private Christian school for years. I had parents who prayed for me daily and their love for Jesus was (and still is) obvious to all who knew them.

I was saved. I was beyond blessed. I am so thankful for that.

However, over the past few years, I have come to a huge realization…there’s more…there is SO MUCH MORE.

Although I was “saved” my whole life, I was still trapped in destructive thought patterns and behaviors that really did hinder the abundant life that God has for me. And, frankly, I didn’t really see the problem.

There was really nothing to complain about. A wonderful husband, two amazing kids, a very successful career doing what I loved, no really obvious problems…I had a good thing going…why mess with it?

Why?

Because as “perfect” as my life appeared, God still had more for me!

He had FREEDOM for me.

Galations 5:1
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”

As I began to spend more and more time in God’s word, I began to see TRUTH.

John 8:32
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”

By filling my mind with truth, I was able (with God’s help) to identify lies that I had believed all my life…a lot of them about myself.

As I began to tear down the lies, and replace them with God’s truth, freedom started to come!

Freedom from destructive thought patterns. Freedom from behaviors that I had gotten used to…but that were keeping me from living life to the fullest…as God intended.

(For me, this involved actually writing down specific lies that I had believed, and then countering them with specific scriptures that proclaimed TRUTH…essentially tearing down that lie.)

I began memorizing scripture (one verse a week)…reprogramming my mind with God’s word. Powerful!!

Romans 12:2
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword . . . "

God has given me such a love for His Word.

He has given me an incredible passion to encourage others to dive into scripture…and to start using it as the offensive weapon that it is!!

I am currently memorizing scripture with the ladies from my Bible study group.

Here is the verse we have been working on this past week. If you would like to join us, I would love it!



Feel free to print this out and carry it around with you – it really helps when you’re trying to memorize.

Oh, and if you do want to join me in memorizing scripture, leave me a comment OR send me an email so that I can be praying for you!!

2 comments:

  1. How sweet to read your story of deliverance this morning...how come I was the one talking last night to the ladies? Well said. You were a week ahead of me. The Lord is using you to bless me. Much love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey friend!
    You were the one talking last night because you have a BEAUTIFUL story to tell...not to mention, I would much rather here your story than be telling mine! (kidding!!!) ;)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete