Saturday, January 24, 2009

s p e e c h l e s s

{ resposted from Wednesday, January 21st }

Have you ever been truly speechless? For those of you who know me personally, you will know that being speechless is not usually a problem for me. ;)

Well, there was a time not too long ago that I really was…and today is a lovely reminder of that day.

Back in the fall, I was one of the parent-drivers on a field trip for Isabelle’s 3rd grade class. We were on our way home from the Puyallup Fair and I was leading the pack, moving down I-5 from Puyallup to Olympia.

It was a beautiful day. We had so much fun at the fair. Isabelle and her best friend were chattering away in the back seat. I had my music on, singing along. Life was good.

Good…until I see *flashing lights* behind me.

I started to shake. This couldn’t be happening. Seriously. It’s bad enough to get pulled over…but when you’re leading the pack and you have a bunch of other parents driving behind you…not cool!

So I pull over to the side of the freeway. The nice state trooper comes up to my window and I can barely press the button to roll it down, I’m shaking so badly.

He explains to me why he pulled me over and gives me a chance to explain.
I can’t speak.
All I can think about is how many parents are seeing this go down.
All I want to do is get out of there…hoping that maybe the car with Isabelle’s teacher in it hasn’t passed by yet.
So I say nothing.
He gives me the ticket and tells me to have a nice day.

So today is my big day. The day I go to court. The day I get to face a judge and try to explain why I did what I did…and why I didn’t explain myself then. I can feel the lecture coming already. Oh boy, can’t wait!

{ Oh, and I have no sympathy from my family…they think it’s hilarious! }